Numeracy and Literacy
The Match Day Maths programme supports students who may have difficulty understanding maths in a mainstream classroom environment.
The project uses football to promote functional mathematic skills, by putting the basics into a context students can relate to. Our maths topics promote an understanding of the basics of adding, subtraction, fractions and percentages, all using the football club and players as the medium, with themed weeks offered including:
- Match day budgets – budgeting from a fan perspective and match day operations for the club; where does the money come from to run the club on a day to day basis?
- Stat attack – statistics for players including player appearances/goals, performance statistics, passes completed and tackles won. The Stat Attack session is delivered utilising iPods and applications to make the sessions more interactive and fun.
- Boardroom budgets – An opportunity for students to find out more about the running of a football club. Learn about budgets for different aspects of the club including ticket sales, advertising, refreshments, sponsorship.
- Players and agents – Role playing into the world of the ‘transfer window’, looking at contracts, salaries and agents fees
- · Contracts – looking at the role of the manager or chief executive and allocating player contracts, including wages, endorsements and bonuses. For example, how much commercial value does a player have to the club (e.g. selling replica shirts) and how do you take that into account in their contracts?
- · Fantasy League Football – Ongoing activity with students picking and managing their own fantasy football teams, through the Premier League Fantasy Football website.
FA Cup Glory
It is 25 years this year since Coventry won the FA Cup. Students undertake a project to go back in time and write an article on the cup final, with research through the internet and books; finding out the impact on the city through interviewing friends and relatives.
Sky Blues History
Research project on the history of Coventry City; when was the club formed? Who holds the record for number of appearances and goal scorers?
Pupils learn research methods and how to structure documents and reports.